This blog is about developing people on behalf of developing your organization.
“Time to do something”
Had an interesting conversation with a manager today.
• He has some big goals. That is good.
• He has some desire to succeed in his new position of management. That is also good.
• He has no tools to develop people.
Without developing people, new goals of bigger numbers are like Fantasy Island – you know it exists but you can’t get there from here!
His response in the past is to move some people out, hire new ones and start over. He likes to think he is tough enough to succeed – he shared the stats on his turnover rate like it was a positive example of how strong he was.
Hmmmmm. Maybe not the best plan….
Since most people are not familiar with what it takes to develop people, we suggested some “Maximum Impact” options which included transformational content – and timely help with specific application. A plan of “life on life” mentorship, and yes even a “money back” satisfaction guarantee.
Got this interesting response.
“This is not a good time for us to do something like this.”
Do you ever have that moment when there is a sudden inner dialogue in your head? Thoughts fly through that you know you will never say out loud?
My inner voice:
1. No, a good time would be 5 years ago – but since we can’t go back and repair the damage done to dozens of people that have failed here and left beat down, don’t wait another minute!
2. Oh were you thinking that developing people is something that is supposed to be easy? Something you can do when you have nothing else on the schedule? When would that be, exactly?
3. Did you think it will be like rolling downhill – taking the path of least resistance? Sure, sure this is something that we can do part-time in the summer, when half the people are on holidays and the other half barely working 3.5 days a week.
4. Don’t be afraid! We can help you with this – your people are dying for some help and we can help you get it for them…
My outer voice:
Thanks for your call….sure we can talk later….of course, yes, let’s do that.
My inner voice:
Sorry people, please forgive me.
I did not get through to this guy and there is no help coming.
Just bigger goals, bigger push, but no new understanding of what works.